We are absolutely thrilled to announce the charity for EDA 2013. Access Sport is a dynamic UK charity whose mission is to give more children, particularly in disadvantaged areas, access to a wide range of quality local sport.
Time and time again Access Sport witnesses the proven power of sport to tackle social exclusion, inactivity and obesity in areas where help is most needed. The way Access Sport achieves this is through empowering the inspirational community volunteers who set up and run local sports clubs with cash, expert advice and networking to help create thriving clubs which get more people positively engaged.
Access Sport began its first club partnership in 2005. By January 2007 Access Sport had 31 clubs and had attracted 650 new young participants and by the end of 2009 they had achieved:
- 115 partner clubs across 21 sports
- 16,000 children with improved access to sport
- 1,000 at new club-school sessions
- 20,000 people attending 7 SportsJAMs
- 400 new coaching qualifications paid for
- 150,000 people with raised awareness of local sports opportunities
Access Sport has many loyal ambassadors, sponsors and trustees who have been invaluable in helping them strive towards increasing the number of people it helps. If you would like to read more about the charity, please see www.accesssport.org.uk